Born: Oct. 3, 1969
Hometown: Como, Italy
Residence: Mooresville, NC
Children: Marco and Matteo
Hobbies: Cycling, skiing, kite surfing, gardening
- Driver of the #9 GEICO Toyota Tundra in the NCWTS
- Has two top-ten finishes in the GEICO Tundra, will compete full-time for Truck Series championship in 2011
- Earned career best NSCS finish at Watkins Glen with an eighth-place result (2009) in GEICO Camry
- Competed in twenty two 24 Hour races, including: nine times in the prestigious Le Mans 24 Hours (twice runner-up) and thirteen Rolex 24 hours at Daytona (2 wins, 2000 and 2002)
- Winner of the Petit Le Mans (2007) and Sebring 12 Hours (2007, 2004)
- Widely regarded as one of the most versatile racecar drivers in the world, 'Mad' Max Papis is the driver of the #13 GEICO Toyota Camry in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The former Formula 1 driver and 2004 Rolex Grand-Am Series Champion will enter his sophomore season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series after a successful rookie campaign that often found him at the front of the field. Notably, he recorded a 12th place finish at Infineon Raceway and an 8th place finish at Watkins Glen International. Papis is excited to be involved with GEICO in NASCAR competition.
Papis was born in Como, Italy, and now resides in Mooresville, North Carolina. He has made over 100 open wheel race starts, including two prior Indianapolis 500 starts, while also serving as a test driver for NASCAR's Hendricks Motorsports. Papis has also participated in NASCAR's number two Series, where he recorded a third place finish on August 4, 2007 in Montreal.
Aside from recording three wins in the former CART Series, Papis has been one of the top competitors in American sports-car racing. He posted an overall win at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 2000 and 2002, as well as a Grand-American Rolex Sports Car Series championship in 2004. As a member of GM's Corvette Racing team, Papis has recorded two wins at the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans, as well as two runner-up finishes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Papis is the son-in-law of legendary racecar driver Emerson Fittipaldi.